As MW2 on PC does not natively support controllers, we must use external programs to make a controller emulate keyboard and mouse inputs. This guide will cover using Steam's Big Picture mode, which has this feature built in.
Step 1: Adding IW4x to your Steam library.
- Launch Steam and click the text in the bottom left that says '[+] ADD A GAME'.
- Select the option 'Add a Non-Steam Game...'.
- Click the 'Browse' button.
- In the browse file window, locate your IW4x install and select 'iw4x.exe', then click the 'Open' button.
- Now there should be a tick in the box next to iw4x, now simply click the button 'ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS'.
- Then, IW4x has been added to your Steam library and can be launched at any time from within Steam.
Step 2: Enabling Controller Configuration Support
- Connect your controller to your PC via USB or Bluetooth.
- Open steam and select the 'Big Picture Mode' mode icon (It's located at the top right of the steam window next to minimise).
- Once in Big Picture mode go to Settings (It's the cog icon in the top right).
- In settings, select the 'Controller Settings' option.
- Now, depending on the controller you are using, enable the configuration support. (e.g. For an Xbox controller, enable 'Xbox Configuration Support').
Step 3: Controller Configuration
- Again, while in Big Picture mode, go to settings then controller settings. Plug in your controller, make sure it is detected, and enable the configuration support for your controller.
- Go to your library, find IW4x, select 'Manage Shortcut' then the 'Controller Configuration' option. You will now be presented with a image with your controller.
- Now select the 'BROWSE CONFIGS' button (Xbox Controllers -> X Button) (PS4 Controllers -> SQUARE Button).
- You should now be on a list screen of configurations, Go to the 'Community' tab and press the 'SHOW OTHER CONTROLLER TYPES' button (Xbox Controllers -> Y Button) (PS4 Controllers -> TRIANGLE Button).
- Now search the list till you find the 'H3X1C's ELITE IW4x Config V2' Configuration, press the (Xbox Controllers -> A Button ) (PS4 Controllers -> CROSS Button) to 'IMPORT CONFIG'.
- Then, you just need to apply the configuration. For Xbox, this will be the "X" Button and for PS4 Controllers, this will be the SQUARE button.